Thursday, April 4, 2013

meet Bear!

Bear is our new puppy, who we are obsessed with - partly by choice/force of cuteness, and partly because if we weren't, he'd poop and pee all over our house! He is twelve weeks old, and he is a mix of a Border Collie and (we think) and German Shepherd. He loves to play and have our attention. He is slowly learning to go potty outside, but he is also way too smart for that game.

Bear playing with his dad!

We read that we should just calmly pick him up when he starts to go inside (harder than it sounds when most of your house is carpeted) and take him outside. It's a long walk to go outside unless you're in the garage or our bedroom, which he almost never is. At some point, he learned that he gets to go outside if he "goes" inside, which ended up with countless trips outside (I think four times within 1 hour on Tuesday). So we started positive reinforcement (treats) when he "goes" outside. Works like a charm! Indoor messes have been significantly cut down. :)

Bear enjoying being outside... eating our grass (that's a no-no) sniffing EVERYTHING, playing, and going potty!

All this puppy sweetness just reminds me of the joys of babies. Bear got poop on the walls, and I read an article about babies doing the same the other day (I'm thrilled for that). I have little/no time to myself if Austin isn't around, I get ready within 15 minutes each day (I sacrifice the makeup) and spend all my time watching him. He isn't a baby but he sure is training me! All I have to say is... thank GOD that the baby will have diapers, and not have to run outside like with a puppy. The potty training will come later. And, thank God that babies aren't instantly mobile!

I'm excited for our baby to grow up with such a sweet and playful pup. S/he will have some awesome memories!


Love,


No comments:

Post a Comment