Wednesday, April 24, 2013

was it a surprise?

I've been getting this question from more than a few people... and especially from people who aren't particularly close with Austin or myself (co-workers, friends of friends, you name it). I'm sure rudeness isn't their intent, but you know they're asking because they weren't expecting us to get pregnant yet, or because we didn't announce that we were trying to beforehand (FYI, that would be awkward!).

The decision to have a baby (it was planned! What?! We are so young!) stemmed largely from convictions in my heart, and Austin getting to see his nephew Jackson all the time. We know they're a lot of work, and thought it'd be best to work hard when we have the energy - in our twenties. But really, the Lord had been working this out in my heart since we got married. It was really awesome to see it all work together, though.

We were looking to buy a house, and wanting to have a baby, and I came home from work one day and told Austin maybe we should postpone it a bit, since buying a house was going to be crazy enough (and it has been! Hello, we remodeled a bathroom!). I think God laughed at my plans that day! We found out shortly thereafter that we were pregnant (more on that story here).

So now it's "out there" and everyone knows it - we wanted to expand our family! The sweetest part: both my mom and Austin's mom were 24 when they had their first baby. It must be good age to start. Being a mom is the only thing I've always known I wanted to do. My career path of choice changed from teacher to lawyer to accountant to event planning, and somewhere in there I felt the call to be a missionary (still waiting to see in what capacity) but throughout all those plans, I knew I was meant to have kids.

We're so thankful for the love and support of our families and friends. While we can wait for September to come (thank God it takes 9 months! We are not ready!), we are very excited to meet our little pea.

If you would, pray over the three of us in these ways:
-That God would make work/financial deicisons clear
-That God would mold us to be parents who seek to glorify Him in every decision and circumstance
-That we would realize that this child is a gift on loan to us from God, and that we are stewards of his/her life
-For peace in the heart of a mom who likes to worry and plan way too far in advance :)
-For our child to know and love the Lord

"I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him."
- 1 Samuel 1:27

"For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be."
-Psalm 139:13-16

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."
-Philippians 4:6

xo,


No comments:

Post a Comment